The beautiful Jewish girl from the tribe of Benjamin that saved her people, the people of Israel. Esther became the wife of King Ahasuerus of Persia, also known as Xerxes or Achashverosh, the son of Darius I Hystaspes about the year 478BC.
Esther is the Persian name for Hadassah who was the daughter of Abihail, who was Mordecai’s uncle.(Mordecai had adopted his younger cousin Hadassah.)
Hadassah in Hebrew means: Myrtle and her Persian name Esther means: The planet Venus.
Today the event is celebrated by the feast of Purim.
The Banquets of the King
The Wealth of King Ahasuerus
1:1 This is a record of what happened during the reign of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who ruled over 127 provinces from India to Cush. 2 At that time King Ahasuerus was ruling from Susa the capital. 3 In the third year of his reign, he gave a banquet for all his officials and ministers, and the military leaders of Persia and Media, the nobles, and the provincial officials were present. 4 He displayed the enormous wealth of his kingdom, along with its splendid beauty and greatness for many days—for 180 days in all.
The Banquet of King Ahasuerus
5 When those days were over, the king held a seven-day banquet in the courtyard of the garden of his palace for all the people who were present in Susa the capital, from the greatest to the least important. 6 There were curtains of white and blue linen tied with cords of fine linen and purple material to silver rings on marble columns. There were couches of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and other precious stones. 7 Drinks were served in gold vessels of various kinds, and there was plenty of royal wine because the king was generous. 8 According to the king’s decree the drinking was not compulsory because the king instructed every steward in his house to serve each individual what he desired. 9 Queen Vashti also held a banquet in the royal palace of King Ahasuerus for the women.
To read the Complete story of Esther, look up the book of Esther in the Bible.
- Ahasuerus all so known as Xerxes or Achashverosh 486BC-464BC.
- Vashti deposed 483BC.
- Esther becomes Queen 478BC.
- Feast of Purim 473BC.
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning, God created the earth – Undated Past
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation – Undated Past
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel
- Abel a righteous man
- Enoch did not die,
- 1100 Years gap Between Adam and Noah
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions
- Noah builds an Ark for God
- 400-year gap between Noah and Abraham
- Abraham the father of nations
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham
- Rebekah married Isaac
- Esau the son of Isaac
- Jacob steals Isaac’s blessing
- Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban
- Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old
- 300-year gap between Joseph and Moses
- Miriam kept eye on Moses after he had been placed as a baby in a boat
- God spoke to Moses out of a burning bush
- Moses was asked to take off his sandals by God
- Moses the friend of God
- Manna means ‘What Is It’?
- Water From The Rock
- Moses at Mount Sinai
- The Golden Calf the idol made by Aaron
- Speak to the Rock “Give Water”
- Joshua God’s warrior
- The two scouts or spies were Joshua’s eyes
- Rahab helped Israel to take Jericho
- Rahab saved from death
- Deborah the 4th Judge of Israel
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel
- Ruth, the great-grandmother of King David
- Samson the 14th Judge of Israel
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints Saul
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear
- David uses his slingshot
- King Solomon’s reign established
- King Rehoboam 1st king of Judah
- Jonah a Prophet of God and the Whale
- Isaiah the prophet (739BC-690BC) wrote the book Isaiah
- Jeremiah the prophet of God is put down a well
- Daniel in the Lions Den
- Esther becomes the Queen of Persia
- Nehemiah rebuilds the walls
- Malachi a prophet of God
- 400-year gap, The gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger
- The cross a Roman method of killing people
- Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 1-11
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 12-22
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 23-32
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 33-42
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 43-52
- Next Module – Back to the beginning The Book of Genesis » »