The people stayed a month at Kadesh and Miriam had just died and was buried there.
They had just moved on to Meribah again the people quarreled against Moses and Aaron.
God asked Moses to speak to the rock so that it would produce water for the people.
However, because he was angry, Moses instead hit the rock twice. For this reason he was barred by God from entering the promised land.
This happened at Meribah which in Hebrew means: Strife, contention or quarreling.
Water From the Rock – The Meribah Springs
20:1 The entire community of the Israelis entered the Zin wilderness during the first month. The people stayed in Kadesh. Miriam died and was buried there.
2 But there was no water for the community, so they gathered together against Moses and Aaron. 3 As the people argued with Moses, they told him, “We wish that we had died when our relatives died in the LORD’s presence! 4 Why did you bring the assembly of the LORD into this wilderness? So we and our cattle could die here? 5 Why did you take us out of Egypt and bring us to this terrible place? There’s no place to plant seeds, fig trees, vines, or pomegranates! And there’s no water to drink!”
6 Then Moses and Aaron went into the presence of the community at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and fell on their faces. Then the glory of the LORD appeared to them.
7 The LORD told Moses, 8 “Take the rod, gather the community together, and then you and your brother Aaron are to speak to the rock right before their eyes. It will release water. As you bring water to them from the rock, the community and the cattle will be able to drink.” 9 So Moses took the rod in the LORD’s presence, just as he had commanded.
10 Then Moses and Aaron gathered the community together in front of the rock. “Pay attention, you rebels!” Moses told them. “Are we to bring you water from this rock?” 11 Then Moses raised his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod. Lots of water gushed out, and both the community and their cattle were able to drink.
The LORD Disciplines Moses
12 But the LORD rebuked Moses and Aaron, telling Moses: “Because you both didn’t believe me, because you didn’t consecrate me as holy in the presence of the Israelis, you won’t be the ones to bring this congregation into the land that I’m about to give them.” 13 Because the Israelis argued with the LORD and he was set apart among them, this place was called the Meribah Springs.
Also see Exodus 17:1-7, Numbers 27:12-14, Deuteronomy 32:51 and Deuteronomy 33:8-11
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning God created the earth – Undated Past, Genesis 1:1-2
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation – Undated Past, Genesis 1:1-3:24
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture, Genesis 1:26-31 – 2:1-25
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture, Genesis 1:18-25
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel – Genesis 4:1-17
- Abel a righteous man, Genesis 4:1-16
- Enoch did not die, Genesis 5:21-24
- 1100 Years gap Between Adam and Noah, Genesis 5:1-32
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions, Genesis 6:8-22
- Noah builds an Ark for God, Genesis 7:1- 10:32
- 400 year gap between Noah and Abraham, Genesis 11:10-32
- Abraham the father of nations, Genesis chapters 12:1-25:11
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham, Genesis 11:29-23:20
- Rebekah married Isaac, Genesis 24:1-66
- Esau the son of Isaac, Genesis 25:19-34
- Jacob steals Isaac’s blessing, Genesis 27:1-29
- Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban, Genesis 29:15-30
- Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old, Genesis 50:22-26
- 300 year gap between Joseph and Moses, Genesis 50:22-Exodus 1:22
- Miriam kept eye on Moses after he had been placed as a baby in a boat, Exodus 2:1-10
- God spoke to Moses out of a burning bush, Exodus 3:1-3
- Moses was asked to take off his sandals by God, Exodus 3:4-22 & 4:1-17
- Moses the friend of God
- Manna means ‘What Is It’?, Exodus 16:1-36
- Water From The Rock, Exodus 17:1-7
- Moses at Mount Sinai, Exodus 19:1-25
- The Golden Calf the idol made by Aaron, Exodus 32:1-35
- Speak to the Rock “Give Water”, Numbers 20:1-13
- Joshua God’s warrior, Joshua 5:13-15 & 6:1-27
- The two scouts or spies were Joshua’s eyes, Joshua 2:1-24 and 6:22-25
- Rahab helped Israel to take Jericho, Joshua 2:1-24
- Rahab saved from death, Joshua 6:22-25
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel, Judges 6:1-8:35
- Ruth, the great grand mother of King David, Ruth 1:16-2:23
- Jephthah the Gileadite the 10th Judge of Israel, Judges 11:1-12:7
- Samson the 14th Judge of Israel, Judges 13:1-16:31
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints Saul, 1 Samuel 10:9-27
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear, 1 Samuel 18:6-16
- David uses his slingshot, 1 Samuel 17:40-58
- King Solomon’s reign established, 1 Kings 2:1-46
- King Rehoboam 1st king of Judah, 1Kings 11:41-12:24 & 2 Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- Jonah a Prophet of God and the Whale, Jonah 1:1-17 – 4:11
- Isaiah the prophet (739BC-690BC) wrote the book Isaiah, 2 Kings 18:1-20-21
- Jeremiah the prophet of God is put down a well, Jeremiah 38:1-28
- Daniel in the Lions Den, Daniel 6:1-28
- Esther becomes the Queen of Persia, Esther 1:1-10:3
- Nehemiah rebuilds the walls, Nehemiah 2:1-3:32
- Malachi a prophet of God, Malachi 1:1-4:6
- 400 year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger, Luke 1:26-38
- The cross a Roman method of killing people, Luke 22:1-24:12
- Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- Next Module – Back to the beginning Genesis