Some say that the first New Testament book was written about AD45-AD50 by James the half-bother of Jesus.
In English we use the name James but his name in Hebew was Jacob.
Others say that the first book is Matthew, written about AD37 were others say Matthew was written later after James.
In the order of the Bible Matthew is the First New Testament book. The book of James is with Peter’s, John’s and Jude’s letters near the back of the New Testament just before the book of Revelation the last book in the Bible.
The book of James covers some really important topics on living right for God including controlling the tongue, boasting, patience and prayer.
The book of James – Greetings
1:1 From: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus, the Messiah.
To: The twelve tribes in the Dispersion [living outside the land of Israel].
Responding Wisely to Life
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you are involved in various trials, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4 But you must let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.
5 Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to everyone generously without a rebuke, and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith, without any doubts, for the one who has doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 Such a person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 He is a double-minded man, unstable in all he undertakes.
9 A brother of humble means should rejoice in his having been exalted, 10 and a rich person in his having been humbled, because he will fade away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun comes up with its scorching heat and dries up the grass. The flower in it drops off, and its beauty is gone. That is how the rich person will fade away in his pursuits.
The book of James 1:1-5:20
Other modules in this unit:
- He is not here, Jesus has risen from the dead, Luke 24:5-8
- 40 Days, Jesus Taken Up Into Heaven, Acts 1:1-11
- Jesus returns Home back to Heaven via the clouds, Acts 1:9-11
- Matthias replaces Judas, Acts 1:12-26
- 50th Day After Jesus’ Resurrection, Acts 2:1-41
- Start Of The Early Church, The Holy Spirit Comes At Pentecost, Acts 2:1-13
- Pentecost Fire, Like Tongues of Fire, Acts 2:1-13
- Peter addresses the Crowd, Acts 2:14-41
- The Fellowship of the Believers or the believers form a community, Acts 2:42-47
- Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar, Acts 3:1-10
- Peter addresses the onlookers in the Temple, Acts 3:11-26
- Peter and John before the Sanhedrin, Acts 4:1-22
- Ananias and Sapphira, Acts 5:1-11
- The Apostles persecuted, Acts 5:17-42
- Choosing of the Seven Helpers, Acts 6:1-7
- Stephen seized and killed, Acts 6:8-8:3
- Philip and the Ethiopian, Acts 8:26-40
- Paul (Saul) meets God, Acts 9:1-22
- Paul (Saul) Escapes In A Basket, Acts 9:23-31
- Aeneas healed by Peter, Acts 9:32-35
- Peter’s dream and Cornelius’ call, Acts 10:1-48
- Barnabas looks for Paul, Acts 11:22-26
- AD43 Covered First Ten Years, Acts 1:1 TO 12:1
- Peter’s 2nd miraculous escape from prison, Acts 12:1-19
- The Book of James – first New Testament book, James 1:1-8
- Orphans and Widows – Listening And Doing, James 1:16-27
- Barnabas and Paul sent off, Acts 13:1-3
- Ship, The Port of Seleucia, Acts 13:4
- Paul in Pisidian Antioch, Acts 13:13-52
- Paul heals a crippled man at Lystra, Acts 14:8-10
- They tried to kill Paul by stoning him at Lystra, Acts 14:19-20
- The return to Antioch to rest after the first trip, Acts 14:21-28
- The Book of Galatians, Galatians 1:1-10
- Paul uses a Scribe , Galatians 6:1-18
- Start of Paul’s Second Trip, Acts 15:36-40
- Timothy Paul’s disciple, Acts 16:1-5
- Pilippi – The Fortune Telling Slave Girl, Acts 16:16-21
- Paul And Silas In Prison again, Acts 16:22-40
- In Athens the unknown Idol , Acts 17:15-34
- Do not get angry, Acts 18:1-17
- Paul returns back by ship , Acts 18:22
- Paul rests between Trips 2 and 3 , Acts 18:22-23
- AD53 The end of the first twenty years
- Acts Part Two Click Here, The book of Acts
- Time line for Acts part one
- Background Information: Acts part one
- Resources – Acts part one