Acts 5:1-11, Winter, Dec- Feb AD34. Ananias and Sapphira – lied to the Holy Spirit.
A HIGH THAT TURNED SOUR.
All the believers were of one accord and shared what they owned, even selling land and houses, giving the money to the apostles who then gave this to those in need.
But there was sin (doing things from man’s motives) in the camp. So we get the story of Ananias and Sapphira, husband and wife. In trying to make themselves appear more spiritual to others, they lied to God.
Ananias and Sapphira are Punished
5:1 But then a man named Ananias, with the consent of his wife Sapphira, sold some property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge, he kept back some of the money for himself and brought the remainder and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
3 Peter asked, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart so that you should lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back some of the money you got for the land? 4 As long as it remained unsold, wasn’t it your own? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? So how could you have thought of doing what you did? You didn’t lie only to men, but also to God!”
5 When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized everyone who heard about it. 6 The young men got up, wrapped him up, carried him outside, and buried him. 7 After an interval of about three hours, Ananias’ wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 So Peter asked her, “Tell me, did you sell the land for that price?”
She answered, “Yes, that was the price.”
9 “How could you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord?” Peter asked her. “Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and these men will carry you outside as well.” 10 She instantly fell down at Peter’s feet and died. When the young men came in, they found her dead. So they carried her out and buried her next to her husband. 11 And great fear seized the whole church and everyone else who heard about this.
Ananias and Sapphira were a couple of believers who thought they could lie to God.
Other modules in this unit:
- He is not here, Jesus has risen from the dead
- 40 Days, Jesus Taken Up Into Heaven
- Jesus returns Home back to Heaven via the clouds
- Matthias replaces Judas
- 50th Day After Jesus’ Resurrection
- Start of the Early Church, The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost
- Pentecost Fire, Like Tongues of Fire
- Peter addresses the Crowd
- The Fellowship of the Believers form a community,
- Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar
- Peter addresses the onlookers in the Temple
- Peter and John before the Sanhedrin
- Ananias and Sapphira
- The Apostles persecuted,
- Choosing of the Seven Helpers
- Stephen seized and killed
- Philip and the Ethiopian,
- Paul (Saul) meets God
- Paul (Saul) Escapes In A Basket
- Aeneas healed by Peter,
- Peter’s dream and the call of Cornelius,
- Barnabas looks for Paul
- AD43 Covered First Ten Years
- Peter’s 2nd miraculous escape from prison
- The Book of James – first New Testament book
- Orphans and Widows – Listening and Doing
- Barnabas and Paul sent off
- Ship, The Port of Seleucia
- Paul in Pisidian Antioch
- Paul heals a crippled man at Lystra
- They tried to kill Paul by stoning him at Lystra,
- The return to Antioch to rest after the first trip
- The Book of Galatians
- Paul uses a Scribe
- Start of Paul’s Second Trip
- Timothy, Paul’s disciple
- Philippi – The Fortune Telling Slave Girl
- Paul and Silas in Prison again
- In Athens, the unknown god
- Do not get angry
- Paul returns back by ship
- Paul rests between Trips 2 and 3
- AD53 The end of the first twenty years
- Timeline for Acts part one
- The Book of Acts:- Part Two » »