Acts 6:8-8:3, April AD35.
Enraged by Stephen’s teaching of Jesus, Council members killed Stephen.
Stephen told them of seeing the glory of God and Jesus and acknowledged Jesus in his death. Like Jesus, he prayed for their forgiveness and then called upon Jesus to receive his spirit as he died.
Saul, later to be called Paul, was at this event.
Background Reading: Stephen is Arrested
6:8 Now Stephen, full of grace and power, was performing great wonders and signs among the people. 9 But some men who belonged to the Synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), as well as some Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and men from Cilicia and Asia, stood up and began to debate with Stephen. 10 But they could neither refute the wisdom nor withstand the Spirit by which he kept speaking. 11 So they secretly got some men to say, “We have heard him speaking blasphemous words against Moses and God.” 12 They stirred up the people, the elders, and the scribes. Then they rushed at Stephen, grabbed him, and brought him before the Council.
13 They had false witnesses stand up and say, “This man never stops saying things against this Holy Place and against the Law. 14 For we have heard him say that this Jesus from Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs that Moses handed down to us.” 15 Then everyone who was seated in the Council glared at him and saw that his face was like the face of an angel.
Stephen is the Greek form of Stephanos which means Crowned.
Other modules in this unit:
- He is not here, Jesus has risen from the dead
- 40 Days, Jesus Taken Up Into Heaven
- Jesus returns Home back to Heaven via the clouds
- Matthias replaces Judas
- 50th Day After Jesus’ Resurrection
- Start of the Early Church, The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost
- Pentecost Fire, Like Tongues of Fire
- Peter addresses the Crowd
- The Fellowship of the Believers form a community,
- Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar
- Peter addresses the onlookers in the Temple
- Peter and John before the Sanhedrin
- Ananias and Sapphira
- The Apostles persecuted,
- Choosing of the Seven Helpers
- Stephen seized and killed
- Philip and the Ethiopian,
- Paul (Saul) meets God
- Paul (Saul) Escapes In A Basket
- Aeneas healed by Peter,
- Peter’s dream and the call of Cornelius,
- Barnabas looks for Paul
- AD43 Covered First Ten Years
- Peter’s 2nd miraculous escape from prison
- The Book of James – first New Testament book
- Orphans and Widows – Listening and Doing
- Barnabas and Paul sent off
- Ship, The Port of Seleucia
- Paul in Pisidian Antioch
- Paul heals a crippled man at Lystra
- They tried to kill Paul by stoning him at Lystra,
- The return to Antioch to rest after the first trip
- The Book of Galatians
- Paul uses a Scribe
- Start of Paul’s Second Trip
- Timothy, Paul’s disciple
- Philippi – The Fortune Telling Slave Girl
- Paul and Silas in Prison again
- In Athens, the unknown god
- Do not get angry
- Paul returns back by ship
- Paul rests between Trips 2 and 3
- AD53 The end of the first twenty years
- Timeline for Acts part one
- The Book of Acts:- Part Two » »