The Holy Spirit appeared as tongues of fire over the heads of the believers on the day of Pentecost or Shavuot.
It seemed as if tongues of fire came and rested on the early disciples.
Time frame, the 7th Sunday or 50 days or 7 weeks after the resurrection of Jesus. The first weekly Sabbath after Pentecost was called the Feast of First Fruits.
One possible date is Sunday 30th May AD32, which is early summer in Israel.
Another possible date is Sunday 24th May AD33, which is early summer in Israel.
Also, read Leviticus 23:15-22 about the Feast of Weeks or Shavuot also Leviticus 23:9-14 about the Feast of First Fruits.
The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost
2:1 When the day of Pentecost was being celebrated, all of them were together in one place. 2 Suddenly, a sound like the roar of a mighty windstorm came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw tongues like flames of fire that separated, and one rested on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in foreign languages as the Spirit gave them that ability.
5 Now devout Jews from every nation on earth were living in Jerusalem. 6 When that sound came, a crowd quickly gathered, startled because each one heard the disciples speaking in his own language. 7 Stunned and amazed, they asked, “All of these people who are speaking are Galileans, aren’t they? 8 So how is it that each one of us hears them speaking in his own native language: 9 Parthians, Medes, Elamites, residents of Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the district of Libya near Cyrene, Jewish and proselyte visitors from Rome, 11 Cretans, and Arabs, listening to them talk in our own languages about the great deeds of God?”
12 All of them continued to be stunned and puzzled, and they kept asking one another, “What can this mean?”
13 But others kept saying in derision, “They’re drunk on sweet wine!”
The Holy Spirit came at Pentecost.
Remember God and the burning bush – Exodus 3:1-4:17.
Also, read Acts 18 and Acts 19.
Other modules in this unit:
- He is not here, Jesus has risen from the dead, Luke 24:5-8
- 40 Days, Jesus Taken Up Into Heaven, Acts 1:1-11
- Jesus returns Home back to Heaven via the clouds, Acts 1:9-11
- Matthias replaces Judas, Acts 1:12-26
- 50th Day After Jesus’ Resurrection, Acts 2:1-41
- Start Of The Early Church, The Holy Spirit Comes At Pentecost, Acts 2:1-13
- Pentecost Fire, Like Tongues of Fire, Acts 2:1-13
- Peter addresses the Crowd, Acts 2:14-41
- The Fellowship of the Believers form a community, Acts 2:42-47
- Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar, Acts 3:1-10
- Peter addresses the onlookers in the Temple, Acts 3:11-26
- Peter and John before the Sanhedrin, Acts 4:1-22
- Ananias and Sapphira, Acts 5:1-11
- The Apostles persecuted, Acts 5:17-42
- Choosing of the Seven Helpers, Acts 6:1-7
- Stephen seized and killed, Acts 6:8-8:3
- Philip and the Ethiopian, Acts 8:26-40
- Paul (Saul) meets God, Acts 9:1-22
- Paul (Saul) Escapes In A Basket, Acts 9:23-31
- Aeneas healed by Peter, Acts 9:32-35
- Peter’s dream and Cornelius’ call, Acts 10:1-48
- Barnabas looks for Paul, Acts 11:22-26
- AD43 Covered First Ten Years, Acts 1:1 TO 12:1
- Peter’s 2nd miraculous escape from prison, Acts 12:1-19
- The Book of James – first New Testament book, James 1:1-8
- Orphans and Widows – Listening and Doing, James 1:16-27
- Barnabas and Paul sent off, Acts 13:1-3
- Ship, The Port of Seleucia, Acts 13:4
- Paul in Pisidian Antioch, Acts 13:13-52
- Paul heals a crippled man at Lystra, Acts 14:8-10
- They tried to kill Paul by stoning him at Lystra, Acts 14:19-20
- The return to Antioch to rest after the first trip, Acts 14:21-28
- The Book of Galatians, Galatians 1:1-10
- Paul uses a Scribe, Galatians 6:1-18
- Start of Paul’s Second Trip, Acts 15:36-40
- Timothy Paul’s disciple, Acts 16:1-5
- Philippi – The Fortune Telling Slave Girl, Acts 16:16-21
- Paul And Silas In Prison again, Acts 16:22-40
- In Athens, the unknown Idol, Acts 17:15-34
- Do not get angry, Acts 18:1-16
- Paul returns back by ship, Acts 18:22
- Paul rests between Trips 2 and 3, Acts 18:22-23
- AD53 The end of the first twenty years
- The Book of Acts:- Part Two » »
- Timeline for Acts part one
- Background Information: Acts part one
- Resources – Acts part one