Adam was a special man that God created.
Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture.
The creation of Adam is described in Genesis 2:7. God created him from the dust of the ground, breathed life into him and placed him in the Garden of Eden.
Adam was given the task of naming all the animals.
As Adam was lonely, God formed a wife, named Eve, out of one of Adam’s ribs.
Adam died at the age of 930 years.
In Hebrew Adam means: of the ground, reddish earth.
God said let us make man – Undated Past
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, to be like us. Let them be masters over the fish in the ocean, the birds that fly, the livestock, everything that crawls on the earth, and over the earth itself!”
27 So God created mankind in his own image;
in his own image God created them;
he created them male and female.
28 God blessed the humans by saying to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it! Be masters over the fish in the ocean, the birds that fly, and every living thing that crawls on the earth!”
29 God also told them, “Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant that grows throughout the earth, along with every tree that grows seed-bearing fruit. They will produce your food. 30 I have given all green plants as food for every wild animal of the earth, every bird that flies, and to every living thing that crawls on the earth.” And that is what happened.
31 Now God saw all that he had made, and indeed, it was very good! The twilight and the dawn were the sixth day.
2:1 With this the heavens and the earth were completed, including all of their vast array. 2 By the seventh day God had completed the work he had been doing, so on the seventh day he stopped working on everything that he had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God stopped working on everything that he had been creating.
Adam and Eve – Humans in the Garden
4 These are the records of the universe at its creation. On the day that the LORD God made the earth and skies, 5 no shrubs had yet grown in the meadows of the earth and no vegetation had sprouted, because the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there were no human beings to work the ground. 6 Instead, an underground stream would arise out of the earth and water the surface of the ground. 7 So the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground, breathed life into his lungs, and the man became a living being.
8 The LORD God planted a garden in Eden, toward the east, where he placed the man whom he had formed. 9 The LORD God caused every tree that is both beautiful and suitable for food to spring up out of the ground. The tree of life was also in the middle of the garden, along with the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. 10 A river flows from Eden to water the garden, and from there it divides, becoming four branches. 11 The name of the first one is Pishon—it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 The gold of that land is pure; bdellium and onyx are also found there. 13 The name of the second river is Gihon—it winds through the entire land of Cush. 14 The third river is named the Tigris— it flows to the east of Assyria. The fourth river is the Euphrates.
15 The LORD God took the man and placed him in the Garden of Eden in order to have him work it and guard it. 16 The LORD God commanded the man: “You may freely eat from every tree of the garden, 17 but you are not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, because you will certainly die during the day that you eat from it.”
Eve is created – The Creation of the Woman
18 Later, the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make the woman to be an authority corresponding to him.” 19 After the LORD God formed from the ground every wild animal and every bird that flies, he brought each of them to the man to see what he would call it. Whatever the man called each living creature became its name. 20 The man gave names to all the livestock, to the birds that fly, and to each of earth’s animals, but there was not found a strength corresponding to him, 21 so the LORD God caused a deep sleep to overshadow the man.
When the man was asleep, he removed one of the man’s ribs and closed up the flesh where it had been. 22 Then the LORD God formed the rib that he had taken from the man into a woman and brought her to the man. 23 So the man exclaimed,
“At last! This is
bone from my bones
and flesh from my flesh.
This one will be called ‘Woman,’
because she was taken from Man.”
24 (Therefore a man will leave his father and his mother and cling to his wife, and they will become one flesh.) 25 Even though both the man and his wife were naked, they were not ashamed about it.
Adam was disobedient and his wife Eve was tricked by the serpent.
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning, God created the earth – Undated Past
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation – Undated Past, Genesis 1:1-3:24
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture, Genesis 1:26-31 – 2:1-25
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture, Genesis 2:18-25
- Tree of Life, Genesis 3:1-24
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel – Genesis 4:1-17
- Abel a righteous man, Genesis 4:1-16
- Seth, Genesis 4:25-26
- Enoch did not die, Genesis 5:21-24
- About a 1100 Year gap between the birth of Adam and the birth of Noah, Genesis 5:1-32
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions, Genesis 6:8-22
- The Ark, God’s way of saving people from the Flood, Genesis 7:1 – 10:32
- The Tower of Babel, Genesis 11:1-9
- 400 years between Noah and Abraham, Genesis 11:10-32
- Abraham the father of nations, Genesis chapters 12:1-20
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham, Genesis 11:29-23:20
- Lot is rescued by Abraham, Genesis 14:1-17
- Melchizedek was the King of Salem, Genesis 14:17-20
- Ishmael the son of Hagar and Abraham, Genesis 16:1-16 – 17:27
- The birth of Isaac Abraham’s son, Genesis 21:1-7
- Hagar an Egyptian slave given to Abraham by the Pharaoh of Egypt, Genesis 21:8-21
- Rebekah married Isaac, Genesis 24:1-67
- Esau the son that Isaac loved, Genesis 25:20-34
- The birth of Jacob the son of Isaac, Genesis 25:20-26
- King Abimelech a local king and Isaac, Genesis 26:1-33
- Questions and Answers – 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-26
- Genesis Part Two » »
- Time Line for Genesis part one »
- Background Information – The book of Genesis
- Resources – The book of Genesis