Genesis 21:1-7. Abraham at the old age of 100 years and Sarah at the old age of 90 years had the son of promise whom they called Isaac.
Isaac lived 180 years from around 2065BC-1885BC.
He went up Mt Moriah around 2050BC with his father Abraham, who had been commanded by God to sacrifice his son Isaac upon this mountain. However, God did not require this sacrifice in the end.
Abraham ordered Isaac to take a wife among the daughters of Laban, his mother’s brother.
Eventually Isaac married Rebekah about 2025BC. They eventually had twin boys, Esau and Jacob.
Background reading:- Isaac is Born
21:1 The LORD came to Sarah, just as he had said, and the LORD did for Sarah what he had promised. 2 Sarah conceived and gave birth to a son for Abraham in his old age, at the very time that God had told him.
3 Abraham named his son who was born to him Isaac—the very one whom Sarah bore for him! 4 On the eighth day after his son Isaac had been born, Abraham circumcised him, just as God had commanded him. 5 Abraham was 100 years old when his son Isaac was born to him.
6 Now Sarah had said, “God has caused me to laugh, and all who hear about it will laugh with me.” 7 She also said, “Who would have told Abraham that Sarah would nurse sons? Yet I have given birth to a son in my husband’s old age!”
Isaac was Abraham’s son of promise.
He was named Isaac, which in Hebrew means laughter, because he was miraculously born to a joyful Abraham and Sarah when they were too old to have children.
Second of seven persons named before their birth.
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning, God created the earth
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture
- Tree of Life
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel
- Abel a righteous man
- Seth, Genesis
- Enoch did not die
- About a 1100 Year gap between the birth of Adam and the birth of Noah
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions
- The Ark, God’s way of saving people from the Flood
- The Tower of Babel
- 400 years between Noah and Abraham
- Abraham the father of nations
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham
- Lot is rescued by Abraham
- Melchizedek was the King of Salem
- Ishmael the son of Hagar and Abraham
- The birth of Isaac Abraham’s son
- Hagar, an Egyptian slave given to Abraham by the Pharaoh of Egypt
- Rebekah married Isaac
- Esau the son that Isaac loved
- The birth of Jacob the son of Isaac
- King Abimelech a local king and Isaac
- Questions and Answers – 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-26
- Genesis Part Two » »
- Time Line for Genesis part one »
- Resources – The book of Genesis