Genesis 11:1-9. Men and women wanted to be like God.
Babel in Hebrew means: Gate of God.
The tower was about 90 meters or 300 feet high.
Babel was a city on the plain of Shinar between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
The Tower in Babylon
11:1 There was a time when the entire earth spoke a common language with an identical vocabulary. 2 As people migrated westward, they came across a plain in the region of Shinar and settled there. 3 They told each other, “Come on! Let’s burn bricks thoroughly.” They used bricks for stone and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come on! Let’s build ourselves a city and a tower, with its summit in the heavens, and let’s make a name for ourselves so we won’t be scattered over the surface of the whole earth.”
5 However, the LORD descended to look over the city and the tower that the humans were building. 6 The LORD said, “Look! They are one people with the same language for all of them, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. Nothing that they have a mind to do will be impossible for them! 7 Come on! Let’s go down there and confuse their language, so that they won’t understand each other’s speech.”
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the surface of the whole earth, so that they had to stop building the city. 9 Therefore it was called Babylon, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth, and from there the LORD scattered them over the surface of the entire earth.
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning, God created the earth
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture
- Tree of Life
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel
- Abel a righteous man
- Seth, Genesis
- Enoch did not die
- About a 1100 Year gap between the birth of Adam and the birth of Noah
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions
- The Ark, God’s way of saving people from the Flood
- The Tower of Babel
- 400 years between Noah and Abraham
- Abraham the father of nations
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham
- Lot is rescued by Abraham
- Melchizedek was the King of Salem
- Ishmael the son of Hagar and Abraham
- The birth of Isaac Abraham’s son
- Hagar, an Egyptian slave given to Abraham by the Pharaoh of Egypt
- Rebekah married Isaac
- Esau the son that Isaac loved
- The birth of Jacob the son of Isaac
- King Abimelech a local king and Isaac
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-26
- Genesis Part Two » »
- Time Line for Genesis part one »
- Resources – The book of Genesis