Genesis 6:8-22. Noah – 3103BC-2153BC – was 500 years old when he started having children. He had three sons named Shem, Ham, and Japheth. He died when he was 950 years old, which was 350 years after the flood.
Noah in Hebrew means: rest.
It took Noah about 100 years to build an ark (boat) to God’s specifications. The ark’s size was about 154 meters (525 feet) long, 25.5 meters (87 feet) wide and 15 meters (52 feet) high.
The ark builder found favor and honor in God’s eyes.
Noah was given the promise of the rainbow, made up of seven colors, to say the earth would not be totally flooded again.
Noah Obeys God
6:8 The LORD was pleased with Noah, however.
9 These are the family records of Noah: Noah was a righteous man. Blameless during his times, Noah communed with God. 10 Noah fathered three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. 11 By this time, the earth had become ruined in God’s opinion and filled with violence. 12 God looked at the earth, observing how corrupt its population had become, because the entire human race had corrupted itself. 13 So God announced to Noah, “I’ve decided to destroy every living thing on earth, because it has become filled with violence due to them. Look! I’m about to annihilate them, along with the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark out of cedar, constructing compartments in it, and cover it inside and out with tar. 15 Make the ark like this: 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high. 16 Make a roof for the ark, and finish the walls to within one cubit from the top. Place the entrance in the side of the ark, and build a lower, a middle, and an upper deck.
17 “For my part, I’m about to flood the earth with water and destroy every living thing that breathes. Everything on earth will die. 18 However, I will establish my own covenant with you, and you are to enter the ark—you, your sons, your wife, and your sons’ wives. 19 You are to bring two of every living thing into the ark so they may remain alive with you. They are to be male and female. 20 From birds according to their species, from domestic animals according to their species, and from everything that crawls on the ground according to their species —two of everything will come to you so they may remain alive. 21 For your part, take some of the edible food and store it away—these stores will be food for you and the animals.”
22 Noah did all of this, precisely as God had commanded.
Read the full events by reading in the Bible Genesis 6:1-9:28.
Other slides in this module:
- In the beginning, God created the earth
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture
- Tree of Life
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel
- Abel a righteous man
- About a 1100 Year gap between the birth of Adam and the birth of Noah
- Enoch did not die
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions
- The Ark, God’s way of saving people from the Flood
- The Tower of Babel
- 400 years between Noah and Abraham
- Abraham the father of nations
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham
- Lot is rescued by Abraham
- Melchizedek was the King of Salem
- Hagar, an Egyptian slave given to Abraham by the Pharaoh of Egypt
- The birth of Isaac Abraham’s son
- Ishmael the son of Hagar and Abraham
- Rebekah married Isaac
- Esau the son that Isaac loved
- The birth of Jacob the son of Isaac
- King Abimelech a local king and Isaac
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-26
- Genesis Part Two » »
- Time Line for Genesis part one »
- Resources – The book of Genesis