Isaac married Rebekah in 2025BC. They eventually twenty years later had twin boys, Esau and Jacob.
Jacob was the younger twin of Esau. From Jacob whose name was later changed by God to Israel and from his sons came the twelve tribes of Israel.
Jacob was Rebekah’s favorite son were Esau was Isaac’s favorite son. Start of family problems right here.
Isaac ordered Jacob the younger twin, to take a wife among the daughters of Laban, his mother’s brother. Remember Esau the older twin had gone against his fathers wishes in marring a Canaanite girl.
Jacob Isaac’s son
20 Isaac was forty years old when he married Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel, the Aramean from Paddan-aram and sister of Laban the Aramean. 21 Later, Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, since she was unable to conceive children, and the LORD responded to him—his wife Rebekah became pregnant.
22 But when the infants kept on wrestling each other inside her womb, she asked herself, “Why is this happening?” So she asked the LORD for an explanation.
23 “Two nations are in your womb,” the LORD responded, “and two separate people will emerge. One people will be the stronger, and the older one will serve the younger.”
24 Sure enough, when her due date arrived, she delivered twin sons. 25 The first son came out reddish—his entire body was covered with hair—so they named him Esau. 26 After that, his brother came out with his hand clutching Esau’s heel, so they named him Jacob. Isaac was 60 years old when they were born.
Jacob was the younger twin of Esau. His name in Hebrew means the supplanter because he tricked his brother out of his birthright.
After an encounter with God, Jacob’s name was changed to Israel, which means the Prince of God.
The unhappiness produced by family troubles.
The transforming power of fellowship with God.
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning God created the earth – Undated Past
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation – Undated Past, Genesis 1:1-3:24
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture, Genesis 1:26-31 – 2:1-25
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture, Genesis 2:18-25
- Tree of Life, Genesis 3:1-24
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel – Genesis 4:1-17
- Abel a righteous man, Genesis 4:1-16
- Seth, Genesis 4:25-26
- Enoch did not die, Genesis 5:21-24
- About a 1100 Year gap between birth of Adam and the birth of Noah, Genesis 5:1-32
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions, Genesis 6:8-22
- The Ark God’s way of saving people from the flood, Genesis 7:1 – 10:32
- The Tower of Babel, Genesis 11:1-9
- 400 years between Noah and Abraham, Genesis 11:10-32
- Abraham the father of nations, Genesis chapters 12:1-20
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham, Genesis 11:29-23:20
- Lot is rescued by Abraham, Genesis 14:1-17
- Melchizedek was the King of Salem, Genesis 14:17-20
- Ishmael the son of Hagar and Abraham, Genesis 16:1-16 – 17:27
- The birth of Isaac Abraham’s son, Genesis 21:1-7
- Hagar an Egyptian slave given to Abraham by the Pharaoh of Egypt, Genesis 21:8-21
- Rebekah married Isaac, Genesis 24:1-67
- Esau the son that Isaac loved, Genesis 25:20-34
- The birth of Jacob the son of Isaac, Genesis 25:20-26
- King Abimelech a local king and Isaac, Genesis 26:1-33
- Genesis Part Two – Click Here
- Time Line for Genesis
- Background Information – The book of Genesis
- Resources – The book of Genesis