Second King of the three kings of the unified kingdom. David reigned for 40 years – 1011BC-971BC.
David who had become King in God’s time died. Lived until he was 70 years and 6 months old, started his reign at 30 years old.
David in Hebrew means: beloved.
His life is found in 1 Samuel to 1 Kings 2:11.
David was Good in God’s sight. David had a whole heart towards God.
40 years reign of King David
2:1 Some time later, David inquired of the LORD to ask, “Am I to move to any one of the cities of Judah?”
The LORD told him, “Go.”
So David asked, “To which one?”
He replied, “To Hebron.”
2 So David went there, along with his two wives Ahinoam from Jezreel and Abigail, widow of Nabal from Carmel. 3 David brought his army with him, each soldier accompanied by his household, and they settled in the cities of Hebron. 4 After this, the army of Judah arrived, and they anointed David king over the house of Judah.
There they informed David, “The men of Jabesh-gilead buried Saul.”
5 So David sent messengers to the people of Jabesh-gilead and told them, “May the LORD bless you, because you showed gracious love like this to your lord Saul by burying him. 6 Now may the Lord reward you with gracious love, as well as faithfulness, to you, too! And I will also reward you because you did this good thing. 7 So strengthen yourselves, and be valiant in heart, because your lord Saul has died, and the household of Judah has anointed me to be king over them.”
2 Samuel 2:1-7
Also read: 1 Chronicles 29:26
Other modules in this unit:
- Samuel the fifteenth Judge of Israel anoints Saul, 1 Samuel 10:1-27
- King Saul starts his reign of about thirty-two years, 1 Samuel 10:1-8
- King Saul reigns for 40 years he was the 1st of 3 kings, 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- Samuel the fifteenth Judge of Israel anoints David as king, 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- David plays for his King, 1 Samuel 16:14-23
- David uses his slingshot, 1 Samuel 17:40-58
- The giant Goliath is killed by David, 1 Samuel 17:1-58
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear, 1 Samuel 18:6-16
- Jonathan David’s faithful friend, 1 Samuel 20:1-42
- Soldiers of David’s army, 1 Samuel 21:1 – 30:1-31
- Abigail acted quickly, 1 Samuel 25:1-44
- 40-year reign of King Saul ends, 1 Samuel 31:1-13
- Start of 40 Year reign of King David, 2 Samuel 2:1-7
- David becomes king in God’s time, 2 Samuel 5:1-5
- David conquers Jerusalem, 2 Samuel 5:4-13
- The Ark brought to Jerusalem, 2 Samuel 6:1-23
- Bathsheba and King David, 2 Samuel 11:1-27 & 12:1-25
- Amnon and Tamar, 2nd Samuel 13:1-39
- The end of King David’s 40 year Reign, 1 Kings 2:10-12
- The start of 40-year reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 1:28-48 & 1 Kings 2:10-46
- King Solomon’s reign established, 1 Kings 2:1-46
- A sword gets the truth, Solomon’s Wise Ruling, 1 Kings 3:16-28
- Solomon’s Temple, 1 Kings 5:1-18 & 6:1-38
- The Queen of Sheba visits King Solomon, 1 Kings 10:1-13
- The end of 40-year reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 11:41-43
- Timeline for the Three Kings
- Background Information: Three Kings
- Resources – Three Kings – Saul, David, and Solomon
- Next Module – Kings of Judah » »