Map – Jerusalem to Rome.
Paul shipped to Rome – August AD59 – February AD60.
Paul’s trip as a prisoner is shown in this map [a map of the Mediterranean].
Maps of two of Paul’s journeys plus one later on are shown here.
Now after the Fast in the reading below means after the Day of Atonement which implies winter and strong winds are approaching.
Paul Sails for Rome and prison
27:1 When it was decided that we should sail to Italy, Paul and some other prisoners were transferred to a centurion named Julius, who belonged to the emperor’s division. 2 After boarding a ship from Adramyttium that was about to sail to the ports on the coast of Asia, we put out to sea. Aristarchus, a Macedonian from Thessalonica, went with us.
3 The next day, we arrived at Sidon, and Julius treated Paul kindly allowing him to visit his friends there and to receive any care he needed. 4 After putting out from there, we sailed on the sheltered side of Cyprus because the winds were against us. 5 We sailed along the sea off Cilicia and Pamphylia and reached Myra in Lycia. 6 There the centurion found an Alexandrian ship bound for Italy and put us on it. 7 We sailed slowly for a number of days and with difficulty arrived off Cnidus. Then, because the wind was against us, we sailed on the sheltered side of Crete off Cape Salome. 8 Sailing past it with difficulty, we came to a place called Fair Havens, near the town of Lasea. 9 Much time had been lost, and because navigation had become dangerous and the day of fasting had already past, Paul began to warn those on the ship, 10 “Men, I see that during this voyage there will be hardship and a heavy loss not only of the cargo and ship, but also of our lives.”
11 But the centurion was persuaded by the pilot and the owner of the ship and not by what Paul said. 12 Since the harbor was not a good place to spend the winter, most of the men favored putting out to sea from there on the chance that somehow they could reach Phoenix and spend the winter there. It is a Cretian harbor that faces southwest and northwest.
After the Fast e.g. the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) September-October late Autumn. Equinox winds about September 21st. read: Acts 27:13-44 about the storm and the ship wreck.
The storm blew them into a bay in the south eastern corner of Malta, which has a beach and a reef where two seas meet in rough weather.
Other modules in this unit:
- Next 43 Years of the Book of Acts, Acts 18:23
- Next 4 years of the Book of Acts, Acts 18:23-21:18
- Books Burn, Paul is in Ephesus, Acts 19:18-20
- Look in a Mirror, Paul writes to the Corinthians, 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13
- Satan as an Angel of Light, Paul writes to the Corinthians, 2nd Corinthians 2:5-11
- Paul writes the book of Romans, Romans 1:1-17
- Idol or the Golden Calf, Romans 1:18-25
- Olive Tree, Romans 11:1-32
- Paul arrested and put in Chains, Acts 21:26-40
- First of several trials for Paul, Acts 22:30-23:11
- Paul before the High Priest Ananias and the Sanhedrin, Acts 23:1-23
- Second Trial for Paul this time before Felix, Acts 24:1-23
- Paul’s third trial in front of Felix, Acts 24:24-27
- Paul’s fourth trial was in front of Festus, Acts 25:1-12
- Festus consults with King Herod Agrippa 2, Acts 25:13-22
- Paul before King Agrippa for his fifth trial, Acts 25:23-26:32
- Paul, a prisoner, sails for Rome in chains, Acts 27:1-12
- Map, Paul sails for Rome and prison, Acts 27:1-12
- Paul and the Snakebite a shore on Malta, Acts 28:1-6
- Paul heals the people on the island of Malta, Acts 28:7-10
- Paul still preaching is under house arrest – Rome, Acts 28:17-31
- Gospel of Luke, Luke 1:1-24:53
- Roman Soldier, The Armour of God, Ephesians 6:10-20
- Comeback, Paul’s plea for Onesiumus, Philemon 1:1-25
- Epaphras took a letter to the city of Colosse, Colossians 4:7-18
- Run the race, Philippians 3:12-4:1
- Map, Paul’s 5th trip which was after the book of Acts was written
- Rome burns, 19 July AD64
- Kiss of Love, 1 Peter 5:12-14
- Scribe, Paul’s Letter To Titus, Titus 1:1-3:15
- Paul writes to Timothy a second time, 2nd Timothy 1:1-2:26
- Victor’s Crown, 2nd Timothy 2:1-13
- The book of Hebrews, Hebrews 1:1-14
- Moses leads God’s people, Hebrews 11:23-28
- Crossing the Red Sea, Hebrews 11:29
- Paul back in jail or prison again in Rome
- The Book of Jude
- Jerusalem is destroyed 2nd September AD70
- John on the Island of Patmos, Revelation 1:1-20
- Eight Characteristics of Jesus, Revelation 1:9-20
- The Holy City, the New Jerusalem, Revelation 21:1-21
- Jesus Reigns, Revelation 22:3-5
- AD96 the end of the book of Revelation and the continuation of the Christian church
- Timeline for Acts part two
- Background Information: Acts part two
- Resources: Acts part two