King Jehoram ruled for eight years before he died of an illness. King Jehoram sinned against the Lord God. Edom revolted against Judah and became an independent Kingdom. Jehoram came to the throne on the death of his father King Jehoshaphat and was succeeded by his son Ahaziah at his death.
Jehoram married the daughter of Queen Jezebel the wife of King Ahab the king of the Northern Kingdom why he had married her we are not told.
As King Jehoram forsook the Lord things started to unravel for the Kingdom of Judah.
Jehoram in Hebrew means: exalted by YAHWEH.
King Jehoram the 5th king of Judah
16 Sometime during the fifth year of the reign of Ahab’s son Joram, king of Israel (while Jehoshaphat was still ruling as king of Judah), Jehoshaphat’s son Jehoram ascended to the throne of Judah. 17 He was 32 years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem for eight years. 18 He lived his life like the kings of Israel did, following the example of Ahab’s household when he married Ahab’s daughter and practiced what was evil in the LORD’s presence. 19 But the LORD remained unwilling to destroy Judah for the sake of his servant David, since he had promised to keep David’s lamp burning brightly through his descendants every day.
20 During Jehoram’s lifetime, Edom rebelled from Judah’s hegemony and appointed a king to rule over themselves. 21 Then Joram crossed over to Zair, along with all of his chariots. At night he attacked the Edomites who had surrounded him and the commanders of his chariots, but the army ran away to their tents. 22 Edom remains in rebellion against Judah to this day, and Libnah revolted at the same time. 23 The rest of the official acts of Joram, along with everything else that he did, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah, are they not?
24 After Joram was laid to rest with his ancestors in the City of David, his son Ahaziah replaced him as king.
2nd Kings 8:16-24
Also read 2nd Chronicles 21:1-20
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah, 1st Kings 11:41-12:24 and 2nd Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah, 1st Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2nd Chronicles 13:-22
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 15:8-24 and 2nd Chronicles 14:-16:14
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 22:41-50 and 2nd Chronicles 17:1-20:37
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah, 2 Chronicles 22:10-12
- Joash the 8th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-12:21 and 2nd Chronicles 22:10-24:27
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah, 2nd Kings 14:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 25:1-28
- King Azariah the 10th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 15:1-7 and 2nd Chronicles 26:1-23
- King Jotham the 11th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 15:32-38 & 2nd Chronicles 27:1-9
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah, 2 Kings 16:1-20 & 2nd Chronicles 28:1-27
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 18:1-20:21 & 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah, 2 Kings 21:1-18 & 2nd Chronicles 33:1-20
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah, 2 Kings 21:19-26 & 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
- King Josiah the 16th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 22:1-23:30 & 2nd Chronicles 34:1-35:27
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah, 2 Kings 23:31-35 & 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah, 2 Kings 23:36-24:7 & 2nd Chronicles 36:5-7
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah, 2 Kings 24:8-17 & 2nd Chronicles 36:8-10
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 & 2 Kings 24:17-25:30
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel