2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9. King Ahaziah came to power at 22 years old and ruled for one year. King Ahaziah sinned against the Lord God. He with King Joram of Israel went to war against Syria, where King Joram was wounded. King Ahaziah later died from wounds inflicted on him by Jehu, in the city of Megiddo.
The city of Megiddo is situated in the north of Israel in the Jezreel Valley, which starts at the coast. Megiddo has had a number of famous battles and is associated with the end-time conflict called Armageddon.
Ahaziah’s mother was Athaliah the granddaughter of Omri. Athaliah, was a very unpleasant person in God’s eyes.
Ahaziah in Hebrew means:God holds or God has taken.
King Ahaziah 6th king of Judah
24 After Joram was laid to rest with his ancestors in the City of David, his son Ahaziah replaced him as king. 25 Joram’s son Ahaziah began to reign as king of Judah during the twelfth year of the reign of Ahab’s son Joram, king of Israel. 26 Ahaziah was 22 years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem for one year.
His mother was named Athaliah. She was the granddaughter of Omri, king of Israel. 27 Ahaziah lived his life following the example of Ahab’s household, practicing what the LORD considered to be evil, just like the household of Ahab, because he was a son-in-law to Ahab’s household. 28 He joined Ahab’s son Joram in an attack on King Hazael of Aram at Ramoth-gilead, and that’s where the Arameans wounded Joram. 29 Then King Joram retreated to Jezreel to recover from the wounds that the Arameans had inflicted on him at Ramah during the battle against King Hazael of Aram. Jehoram’s son Ahaziah, king of Judah, went to visit Ahab’s son Joram in Jezreel because Joram was sick.
2nd Kings 8:24—29
Also read 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9.
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah
- Joash the 8th King of Judah
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- King Azariah the 10th and a good King of Judah
- King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah
- Questions and Answers 1-20
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC=345 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel