Abijah succeeded his father Rehoboam as king of Judah.Read: 1 Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2 Chronicles 13:1-22.
Abijah reigned in Jerusalem for three years.
He sinned like his father. His mother was Maacah, the daughter of Absalom
Abijam in Hebrew means: My father is The LORD.
Abijah or Abijam 2nd King of Judah
31 Rehoboam died, as had his ancestors, and he was buried with his ancestors in the City of David. His mother’s name had been Naamah the Ammonite, and his son Abijah became king to replace him.
1 Abijah reigned over Judah starting in the eighteenth year of Nebat’s son Jeroboam’s reign. 2 He reigned for three years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Maacah, the daughter of Abishalom.
3 He practiced the same sins that his father committed before he was born. Unlike his ancestor David, his heart never became devoted to the LORD his God. 4 Nevertheless, for the sake of David, the LORD his God maintained a lamp for David in Jerusalem by raising up his son after him so that Jerusalem would be established, 5 because David had practiced what the LORD considered to be right. He never avoided anything that the LORD had commanded him during his entire lifetime, except for the case of Uriah the Hittite.
6 There was continual military conflict between Rehoboam and Jeroboam throughout his entire lifetime. 7 The rest of Abijah’s accomplishments, including everything he undertook, are written in the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah, are they not? And a state of war continued to exist between Abijah and Jeroboam. 8 Eventually, Abijah died, as did his ancestors, and he was buried in the City of David. His son Asa succeeded him as king.
1 Kings 14:31—15:8
Also read 2nd Chronicles 13:1-22.
Other slides in this module:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah
- Joash the 8th King of Judah
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- King Azariah the 10th and a good King of Judah
- King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah
- Questions and Answers 1-20
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC=345 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings part one » »