2 Kings 23:36-24:7 and 2 Chronicles 36:5-7. King Jehoiakim was 25 years old when he succeeded his brother Jehoahaz [Joahaz] to the throne and he ruled for 11 years. Pharaoh Neco of Egypt made Joahaz’s brother Eliakim king of Judah and he changed his name to Jehoiakim. Jehoiakim sinned against the Lord God. He was taken in chains to Babylonia by King Nebuchadnezzar.
King Jehoiakim was subject to King Nebuchadnezzar for at least three years of his eleven-year reign.
King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon had just taken land off Neco the king of Egypt.
Jehoiakim in Hebrew means: he whom Jehovah has set up.
King Jehoiakim the 18th king of Judah
4 King Neco of Egypt installed Jehoahaz’sc brother Eliakim as king over Judah and Jerusalem, changed Eliakim’s name to Jehoiakim, and took his brother Joahaz back to Egypt.
Jehoiakim’s Reign; Nebuchadnezzar’s First Capture of Jerusalem of three
5 Jehoiakim was 25 years old when he became king, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem, but he practiced what the LORD his God considered to be evil. 6 As a result, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon attacked him, bound him in bronze shackles, and took him to Babylon. 7 Nebuchadnezzar also took articles from the LORD’s Temple to Babylon and placed them in his temple in Babylon. 8 The rest of Jehoiakim’s accomplishments—along with the detestable things that he did that were recorded in his disfavor—are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah. His son Jehoiachin became king to replace him.
2 Chronicles 36:4-8
Also read 2 Kings 24:-25:30.
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah
- Joash the 8th King of Judah
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- King Azariah the 10th and a good King of Judah
- King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah
- Questions and Answers 1-20
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC=345 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings part one » »