2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20. King Jehoram ruled for eight years before he died of an illness. King Jehoram sinned against the Lord God. Edom revolted against Judah and became an independent Kingdom. Jehoram came to the throne on the death of his father King Jehoshaphat and was succeeded by his son Ahaziah at his death.
Jehoram married the daughter of Queen Jezebel, the wife of King Ahab, the king of the Northern Kingdom. Why he married her we are not told.
As King Jehoram forsook the Lord things started to unravel for the Kingdom of Judah.
Jehoram in Hebrew means: exalted by YAHWEH.
King Jehoram the 5th king of Judah
16 Sometime during the fifth year of the reign of Ahab’s son Joram, king of Israel (while Jehoshaphat was still ruling as king of Judah), Jehoshaphat’s son Jehoram ascended to the throne of Judah. 17 He was 32 years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem for eight years. 18 He lived his life like the kings of Israel did, following the example of Ahab’s household when he married Ahab’s daughter and practiced what was evil in the LORD’s presence. 19 But the LORD remained unwilling to destroy Judah for the sake of his servant David, since he had promised to keep David’s lamp burning brightly through his descendants every day.
20 During Jehoram’s lifetime, Edom rebelled from Judah’s hegemony and appointed a king to rule over themselves. 21 Then Joram crossed over to Zair, along with all of his chariots. At night he attacked the Edomites who had surrounded him and the commanders of his chariots, but the army ran away to their tents. 22 Edom remains in rebellion against Judah to this day, and Libnah revolted at the same time. 23 The rest of the official acts of Joram, along with everything else that he did, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah, are they not?
24 After Joram was laid to rest with his ancestors in the City of David, his son Ahaziah replaced him as king.
2nd Kings 8:16-24
Also read 2nd Chronicles 21:1-20.
Other slides in this module:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah
- Joash the 8th King of Judah
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- King Azariah the 10th and a good King of Judah
- King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah
- Questions and Answers 1-20
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC=345 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings part one » »