2 Chronicles 22:10-12. Queen Athaliah, who ruled for six years, was 7th King – actually a Queen – of Judah. She was the mother of King Ahaziah the 6th king of Judah. When she learned her son was dead, she then took control of the kingdom of Judah and killed all the members of the royal household. But she missed one child, Joash, who later was to rule in her place as the 8th king of Judah. The army officers killed her at the Horse Gate on the orders of Jehoiada the priest.
Queen Athaliah was not liked by the people because of what she did and they were happy when she was slain by the sword.
Queen Athaliah was a very unpleasant person in God’s eyes.
The name Athaliah in Hebrew means: God is exalted.
10 As soon as Ahaziah’s mother Athaliah learned that her son had died, she set out to destroy the entire royal family of Judah. 11 However, the king’s daughter Jehoshabeath took Ahaziah’s son Joash away from the king’s children who were about to be assassinated and hid him and his nurse in a bedroom. That’s how King Jehoram’s daughter Jehoshabeath, who was also the priest Jehoiada’s wife and Ahaziah’s sister, hid him from Athaliah. As a result, she was not able to kill him. 12 Joash remained with them for six years, hidden in God’s Temple while Athaliah reigned over the land.
2 Chronicles 22:10-12
Also read 2 Kings 11:1—20 and 2 Chronicles 22:1-23:23.
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah
- Joash the 8th King of Judah
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- King Azariah the 10th and a good King of Judah
- King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah
- Questions and Answers 1-20
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC=345 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings part one » »