Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 6:11-18. Gideon 5th Judge of Israel 1191BC-1151BC 40 years.
Gideon in Hebrew means: Jerubbul – let Baal contend.
Gideon was from the tribe of Manasseh.
Faith’s miraculous victory.
Son of Joash ( Great warrior).
Gideon had 70 sons and many wives.
11:32 And what more should I say? For time would fail me to tell you about Barak, Gideon, Jephthah, the prophets, Samson, Samuel, Saul and David.
11:34 Found strength in weakness, Abraham, Saul, David, Elijah from Jezebel.
Hebrews 11:32 or 11:34
Gideon is Visited by the Angel of the LORD
11 After this, the angel of the LORD arrived and sat down in the shade of the oak tree in Ophrah that belonged to Joash, a descendant of Abiezer, while his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a wine press in order to safeguard it from the Midianites. 12 The angel of the LORD appeared to him and told him, “The LORD is with you, you valiant warrior!”
13 But Gideon replied, “Right… Sir, if the LORD is with us, then why has all of this happened to us? And where are all of his miraculous works that our ancestors recounted to us when they said, ‘The LORD brought us up from Egypt, didn’t he?’ But now the LORD has abandoned us and given us over to Midian!”
14 The LORD looked straight at him and replied, “Go with this determination of yours and deliver Israel from Midian’s domination. I’ve directed you, haven’t I?”
15 “Right…,” Gideon responded. “Sir, how will I deliver Israel? Look—my family is the weakest in Manasseh, and I’m the youngest in my father’s household.”
16 The LORD told him, “Because I’ll be with you, and you’ll defeat Midian—every single one of them!”
17 So Gideon asked him, “Please, if I have received favor from you, then do a miracle for me that shows that you’re making this promise to me. 18 And please don’t leave here until I’ve come back to you, brought my offering, and set it down in front of you.”
The LORD replied, “I’ll stay until you return.”
If you want to read to full story look it up in a Bible.
Gideon or Jerubbaal the 6th Judge of Israel.
Called a mighty man of valor.
Had characteristics of:
Loyalty to God.
Weakened by prosperity.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Beginning
- Seven days of Creation
- Cain the first human murderer recorded in the Bible
- Abel a righteous man
- Enoch did not die,
- Noah built an Ark
- Abraham the father of the Hebrew people
- Sarah Abraham’s wife
- Isaac Abraham’s son
- Esau Isaac’s son
- Jacob Isaac’s favorite son
- Manasseh Joesph’s Older Son
- Joesph’s younger son
- Joseph had a coat of many colors
- Amram a Levite, the father of Moses
- Jochebed the mother of Moses
- Moses followed God by faith
- The Red Sea divided and congealed
- Joshua and the fall of Jericho
- Caleb, Moses’ man
- The fall of Jericho
- Rahab saved from death
- Barak the army commander of Israel
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel
- Jephthah the Gileadite the tenth Judge of Israel
- The Prophets from Genesis to Revelation
- Samson the Fourteenth Judge of Israel
- Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a Prophet
- King Saul first of three Kings
- David second of three kings
- Jonathan David’s true friend
- The widow of Zarephath
- Obadiah and Elijah
- The prophet Elijah did sixteen miracles
- The vineyard of Naboth and King Ahab
- The vineyard of Naboth and Queen Jezebel
- Micaiah, the son of Imlah
- Elisha the Prophet
- The miracle of the Widow’s Oil
- The Shunammite and her son
- Zechariah the Prophet
- King Hezekiah
- King Hezekiah, The sun went backwards
- Isaiah the prophet
- Jeremiah the prophet
- Uriah the Son of Shemaiah
- Jeremiah put down a well
- The book of Daniel
- The Fiery Furnace
- Daniel in the Lions’ Den
- Hasmonean Dynasty
- John the Baptist
- Jesus the Son of God
- Background Information: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Resources: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Next Module – Revelation part one » »