Hebrews 11:38 and 1 Kings 18:1-15. Obadiah protected 100 prophets. He was the Governor of King Ahab’s house about 916BC.
Even though it could cost Obadiah his life he followed Elijah’s instructions. Read the background reading below about the events.
There are thirteen men named Obadiah in the Bible. This Obadiah is in the time of King Ahab and Elijah is not the same Obadiah the prophet that wrote the book named after him.
Obadiah which in Hebrew means: Servant of Jehovah.
and from caves to holes in the ground. – Obadiah King Ahab’s Servant hid one hundred prophets in caves.
Elijah and Obadiah
18:1 Quite some time later—three years later!—this message from the LORD came to Elijah: “Go visit Ahab, and I’ll send some rain to the surface of the ground.” 2 So Elijah went to show himself to Ahab, right when the famine in Samaria was most severe.
3 Ahab called for Obadiah, his household supervisor. This man, who feared the LORD very much, 4 had taken 100 prophets and had hidden them by fifties in a cave, providing them with food and water when Jezebel was trying to destroy the LORD’s prophets.
5 Ahab had instructed Obadiah, “Go throughout the land to all of the water springs and to all of the valleys. Maybe we’ll find some grass to keep the horses and mules alive. Also, maybe we won’t have to kill some of our cattle.” 6 So they divided the land between them so they could conduct their survey. Ahab went off by himself in one direction and Obadiah went off by himself in the other.
7 While Obadiah was on the road, Elijah met him. Obadiah recognized him and bowed down with his face to the ground. “It’s you, isn’t it, my master Elijah?”
8 “I am,” he replied. “Go tell your master, ‘Look! Elijah!’”
9 But Obadiah replied, “What did I do wrong, that you would put me in a position where Ahab would execute me? 10 As surely as the LORD your God lives, there isn’t a nation or kingdom where my master hasn’t tried to find you. Whenever they would say ‘He isn’t here,’ he forced that kingdom or nation to swear that they hadn’t seen you. 11 But now you’re saying ‘Go tell your master, “Elijah is here!”’ 12 As soon as I’ve left you, the Spirit of the LORD will carry you off to I don’t know where! Then when I go tell Ahab and he can’t find you, he’ll kill me, even though I have been your servant and have feared the LORD since I was young! 13 Hasn’t anyone told you, my master, what I did when Jezebel was killing the LORD’s prophets? I hid 100 of the LORD’s prophets by fifties in a cave and provided food and water for them. 14 Now you’re saying, ‘Go tell your master, “Elijah’s here!”’ He’s sure to kill me!”
15 But Elijah promised him, “As the LORD of the Heavenly Armies lives, in whose presence I stand, I will appear to Ahab today.”
1 Kings 18:1-15
Obadiah, a Servant of Queen Jezebel’s husband King Ahab, hid 100 prophets in two caves when she tried to kill these prophets. 1kings 18:8-16.
There are at least 13 men with the name Obadiah which in Hebrew means Servant of Jehovah in the Bible. Including the prophet Obadiah 899BC-795BC or 848BC-841BC with a vision concerning Edom.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Beginning
- Seven days of Creation
- Cain the first human murderer recorded in the Bible
- Abel a righteous man
- Enoch did not die,
- Noah built an Ark
- Abraham the father of the Hebrew people
- Sarah Abraham’s wife
- Isaac Abraham’s son
- Esau Isaac’s son
- Jacob Isaac’s favorite son
- Manasseh Joesph’s Older Son
- Joesph’s younger son
- Joseph had a coat of many colors
- Amram a Levite, the father of Moses
- Jochebed the mother of Moses
- Moses followed God by faith
- The Red Sea divided and congealed
- Joshua and the fall of Jericho
- Caleb, Moses’ man
- The fall of Jericho
- Rahab saved from death
- Barak the army commander of Israel
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel
- Jephthah the Gileadite the tenth Judge of Israel
- The Prophets from Genesis to Revelation
- Samson the Fourteenth Judge of Israel
- Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a Prophet
- King Saul first of three Kings
- David second of three kings
- Jonathan David’s true friend
- The widow of Zarephath
- Obadiah and Elijah
- The prophet Elijah did sixteen miracles
- The vineyard of Naboth and King Ahab
- The vineyard of Naboth and Queen Jezebel
- Micaiah, the son of Imlah
- Elisha the Prophet
- The miracle of the Widow’s Oil
- The Shunammite and her son
- Zechariah the Prophet
- King Hezekiah
- King Hezekiah, The sun went backwards
- Isaiah the prophet
- Jeremiah the prophet
- Uriah the Son of Shemaiah
- Jeremiah put down a well
- The book of Daniel
- The Fiery Furnace
- Daniel in the Lions’ Den
- Hasmonean Dynasty
- John the Baptist
- Jesus the Son of God
- Background Information: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Resources: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Next Module – Revelation part one » »