Zacchaeus, the wealthy tax collector, climbs a tree so that he can see Jesus. The local people did not like him because he worked for the Romans.
Jesus said “Zacchaeus, come down immediately, I must stay at your house today.”
Jesus stays with Zacchaeus for a meal. We are not told whether it was lunch or evening dinner.
After the meal, Jesus leaves Jericho. He walks towards Jerusalem and His death in 10 days time.
Zacchaeus in Hebrew means Pure One.
Jesus and Zacchaeus the Tax Collector
19:1 As Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through it, 2 a man named Zacchaeus appeared. He was a leading tax collector, and a rich one at that! 3 He was trying to see who Jesus was, but he couldn’t do so due to the crowd, since he was a short man. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree to see Jesus, who was going to pass that way.
5 When Jesus came to the tree, he looked up and said, “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down! I must stay at your house today.” 6 Zacchaeus came down quickly and was glad to welcome him into his home.
7 But all the people who saw this began to complain: “Jesus is going to be the guest of a notorious sinner!”
8 Later, Zacchaeus stood up and announced to the Lord, “Look! I’m giving half of my possessions to the destitute, and if I have accused anyone falsely, I’m repaying four times as much as I owe.”
9 Then Jesus told him, “Today salvation has come to this home, because this man is also a descendant of Abraham, 10 and the Son of Man has come to seek and to save the lost.”
Further reading: Matthew 21:1-11, Mark 11:1-11, John 12:13-1
Jesus sets out from Jericho, meaning in Hebrew City of Palms, to Jerusalem about 24km (15miles), approximate 4-8 hours all uphill. Jericho 251 meters or 825 feet below sea level and Jerusalem 796 meters or 2,610 feet above sea level. A total climb of 1,047 meters or 3,435 feet. The custom was that you started early morning with rest in the middle of the day.
The hill or tel of Jericho has been occupied since 800BC and is some 230 meters or 800 feet below sea level.
The Dead Sea or the Salt Sea 400 meters (1,300 feet) below sea level is the lowest area on earth below sea level.
Whereas the Sea of Galilee or the Lake of Tiberius is only 200 meters (700 feet) below sea level.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jesus starts His Ministry
- John the Baptist Prepares the Way for Jesus, Luke 3:1-20
- Sandal, John the Baptist, Luke 3:15-18
- Satan, The Temptation of Jesus, Luke 4:1-13
- The Calling of the First Disciples, John 1:35-51
- Water Jar, Jesus Changes Water Into Wine John 2:1-11
- Jesus teaches Nicodemus, John 3:1-21
- Jesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman at the well, John 4:1-42
- Jesus calls for disciples a second time, Luke 5:1-11
- Man on a sleeping mat, Luke 5:17-26
- The Healing of two Blind Men in a house, Matthew 9:27-31
- Jesus chooses His Twelve Apostles, Luke 6:12-16
- The Sermon in a level place, Luke 6:17-49
- Roman Centurion a leader of soldiers, Luke 7:1-10
- Jesus anointed by a sinful Woman, Luke 7:36-50
- Farmer sows seeds, Luke 8:4-15
- A Lamp on a stand, Luke 8:16-18
- Jesus calms the Storm, Luke 8:22-25
- Jesus sends out the Twelve, Luke 9:1-6
- John the Baptist beheaded by Herod the Tetrarch, Matthew 14:1-12
- Jesus feeds five thousand, Luke 9:10-17
- Jesus Walks On Water, Mark 6:45-56
- Jesus feeds 4000 men besides women and children, Matthew 15:29-39
- Jesus in a boat, Matthew 15:39 or Mark 8:10
- Blind Man at Bethsaida, Mark 8:22-26
- Key to the Kingdom, Peter’s confession of Christ, Matthew 16:13-20
- The Transfiguration, Luke 9:28-36
- Jesus sends out seventy or seventy two disciples, Luke 10:1-24
- Light, Jesus is the Light of the world, John 8:12
- Jesus heals a man born blind, John 9:1-41
- Jesus looks out for the lost sheep, John 10:1-21
- Jesus uses Jonah as a sign, Luke 11:29-32
- God is the Light, Luke 11:33-36
- Keys, Luke 11:37-52
- The Parable of the Rich Fool, Luke 12:13-21
- Be ready to serve Jesus day and night, Luke 12:35-40
- The Parable of the Lost Sheep, Luke 15:1-7
- Lazarus raised from the dead, John 11:1-45
- The Plot to Kill Jesus, John 11:45-57
- The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, Matthew 18:21-35
- A Blind Beggar receives his sight, Luke 18:35-43
- Zacchaeus the tax collector, Luke 19:1-10
- Ministry of Jesus Timeline
- Next Module – Easter, Triumphal Entry to Pentecost