Matthew 14:1-12. John was God’s forerunner for Jesus telling people to get ready for their Messiah.
John the Baptist was Jesus’ cousin. When John heard the voice of Mary the mother of Jesus he jumped in his mother Elizabeth’s womb.
Herod the Tetrarch was also known as Herod Antipas, ruler of Galilee and Perea 4BC-AD39, and he had John the Baptist beheaded to keep a promise to Salome daughter of Herodias.
John the Baptist Beheaded
14:1 At that time Herod the tetrarch, hearing about the fame of Jesus, 2 told his servants, “This is John the Baptist! He has been raised from the dead, and that’s why these miracles are being done by him.” 3 Herod had arrested John, bound him with chains, and put him in prison on account of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife.
4 John had been telling him, “It is not lawful for you to have her.” 5 Although Herod wanted to kill him, he was afraid of the crowd, since they regarded John as a prophet.
6 But when Herod’s birthday celebration was held, the daughter of Herodias danced before the guests. She pleased Herod 7 so much that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked for. 8 Prompted by her mother, she said, “Give me, right here on a platter, the head of John the Baptist.” 9 Under pressure because of his promises and his assembled guests, the king ordered that it be done. 10 So he sent word and had John beheaded in prison. 11 His head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she took it to her mother. 12 When John’s disciples came, they carried off the body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus.
See also: Mark 6:14-29, Luke 9:7-9.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jesus starts His Ministry
- John the Baptist Prepares the Way for Jesus
- Sandal, John the Baptist
- Satan, The Temptation of Jesus
- The Calling of the First Disciples
- Water Jar, Jesus Changes Water Into Wine
- Jesus teaches Nicodemus
- Jesus Talks with a Samaritan Woman at the Well
- Jesus calls for disciples a second time
- Man on a sleeping mat
- The Healing of two Blind Men in a house
- Jesus chooses His Twelve Apostles
- The Sermon in a level place
- Roman Centurion a leader of soldiers
- Jesus anointed by a sinful Woman
- Farmer sows seeds
- A Lamp on a stand
- Jesus calms the Storm
- Jesus sends out the Twelve
- John the Baptist beheaded by Herod the Tetrarch
- Jesus feeds five thousand
- Jesus Walks On Water
- Jesus feeds 4000 men besides women and children
- Jesus in a boat
- Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Keys to the Kingdom, Peter’s confession of Christ
- The Transfiguration
- Jesus sends out seventy or seventy two disciples
- Light, Jesus is the Light of the world
- Jesus heals a man born blind
- Jesus looks out for the lost sheep
- Jesus uses Jonah as a sign
- God is the Light
- The Parable of the Rich Fool
- Be ready to serve Jesus day and night
- The Parable of the Lost Sheep
- Lazarus raised from the dead
- The Plot to Kill Jesus
- The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
- A Blind Beggar receives his sight
- Zacchaeus the tax collector
- Questions 1-14
- Ministry of Jesus Timeline
- Next Module – Easter, Triumphal Entry to Pentecost » »