Luke 3:15-18. While preaching to those who came to hear him, John the Baptist said, “I baptize with water and He will follow who will baptize with fire and the Holy Spirit.
John the Baptist said he was not worthy to be the second to lowest slave.
It was the custom that the second to lowest slave removed the sandal and the lowest slave washed the feet.
3:15 Now the people were filled with expectation, and all of them were wondering if John was perhaps the Messiah. 16 John replied to all of them, “I’m baptizing you with water, but one is coming who is more powerful than I, and I’m not worthy to untie his sandal straps. It is he who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 17 His winnowing fork is in his hand to clean up his threshing floor. He’ll gather the grain into his barn, but he’ll burn the chaff with inextinguishable fire.”
18 With many other exhortations John continued to proclaim the good news to the people.
Also read: Matthew 3:1-17, Mark 1:1-12 and John 1:1-34
Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet
Read also: Matthew 26:20, Mark 14:12-16, Luke 22:7-38 and John 13:1-13.
The second to bottom slave took off the sandal.
Remember that the washing and cleaning of people’s feet and sandals was an unpleasant task because they got covered with foul-smelling excrement from the roads and paths.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jesus starts His Ministry
- John the Baptist Prepares the Way for Jesus
- Sandal, John the Baptist
- Satan, The Temptation of Jesus
- The Calling of the First Disciples
- Water Jar, Jesus Changes Water Into Wine
- Jesus teaches Nicodemus
- Jesus Talks with a Samaritan Woman at the Well
- Jesus calls for disciples a second time
- Man on a sleeping mat
- The Healing of two Blind Men in a house
- Jesus chooses His Twelve Apostles
- The Sermon in a level place
- Roman Centurion a leader of soldiers
- Jesus anointed by a sinful Woman
- Farmer sows seeds
- A Lamp on a stand
- Jesus calms the Storm
- Jesus sends out the Twelve
- John the Baptist beheaded by Herod the Tetrarch
- Jesus feeds five thousand
- Jesus Walks On Water
- Jesus feeds 4000 men besides women and children
- Jesus in a boat
- Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Keys to the Kingdom, Peter’s confession of Christ
- The Transfiguration
- Jesus sends out seventy or seventy two disciples
- Light, Jesus is the Light of the world
- Jesus heals a man born blind
- Jesus looks out for the lost sheep
- Jesus uses Jonah as a sign
- God is the Light
- The Parable of the Rich Fool
- Be ready to serve Jesus day and night
- The Parable of the Lost Sheep
- Lazarus raised from the dead
- The Plot to Kill Jesus
- The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
- A Blind Beggar receives his sight
- Zacchaeus the tax collector
- Questions and Answers 1-14
- Questions and Answers 15-28
- Questions and Answers 29-42
- Ministry of Jesus Timeline
- Next Module – Easter, Triumphal Entry to Pentecost » »