Jesus heals a man brought on his sleeping mat by four friends.
Houses were constructed mainly of clay and stone and were mainly flat-roofed, with a stairway at the side of the house. The four friends climbed the stairs and removed the roof tiles. They lowered the man on a mat right in front of Jesus.
Jesus healed him and the man went home praising God.
By saying He was the Son of Man and had the power to forgive sins, Jesus was saying He was God. The Jewish leaders kept saying He was not God but how wrong they were.
Jesus did this on His return to Capernaum from the region of the Gadarenes.
Jesus Heals a Paralyzed man on a Mat
5:17 One day, as Jesus was teaching, some Pharisees and teachers of the Law happened to be sitting nearby. The people had come from every village in Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem. The power of the Lord was present to heal them. 18 Some men were bringing a paralyzed man on a stretcher. They were trying to take him into the house and place him in front of Jesus. 19 When they couldn’t find a way to get him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down on his stretcher through the tiles into the middle of the room, right in front of Jesus. 20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Mister, your sins are forgiven.”
21 The scribes and the Pharisees began to argue among themselves, saying, “Who is this man who is uttering blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
22 Because Jesus knew that they were arguing, he asked them, “Why are you arguing about this among yourselves? 23 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 24 But so you’ll know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins….” he told the paralyzed man, “I say to you: Get up, pick up your stretcher, and go home!” 25 So the man immediately stood up in front of them and picked up what he had been lying on. Then he went home, praising God.
26 Amazement seized all the people, and they began to praise God. They were filled with fear and declared, “We have seen wonderful things today!”
See also: Matthew 9:1-8, Mark 2:1-12.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jesus starts His Ministry
- John the Baptist Prepares the Way for Jesus, Luke 3:1-20
- Sandal, John the Baptist, Luke 3:15-18
- Satan, The Temptation of Jesus, Luke 4:1-13
- The Calling of the First Disciples, John 1:35-51
- Water Jar, Jesus Changes Water Into Wine John 2:1-11
- Jesus teaches Nicodemus, John 3:1-21
- Jesus Talks with a Samaritan Woman at the Well, John 4:1-42
- Jesus calls for disciples a second time, Luke 5:1-11
- Man on a sleeping mat, Luke 5:17-26
- The Healing of two Blind Men in a house, Matthew 9:27-31
- Jesus chooses His Twelve Apostles, Luke 6:12-16
- The Sermon in a level place, Luke 6:17-49
- Roman Centurion a leader of soldiers, Luke 7:1-10
- Jesus anointed by a sinful Woman, Luke 7:36-50
- Farmer sows seeds, Luke 8:4-15
- A Lamp on a stand, Luke 8:16-18
- Jesus calms the Storm, Luke 8:22-25
- Jesus sends out the Twelve, Luke 9:1-6
- John the Baptist beheaded by Herod the Tetrarch, Matthew 14:1-12
- Jesus feeds five thousand, Luke 9:10-17
- Jesus Walks On Water, Mark 6:45-56
- Jesus feeds 4000 men besides women and children, Matthew 15:29-39
- Jesus in a boat, Matthew 15:39 or Mark 8:10
- Blind Man at Bethsaida, Mark 8:22-26
- Keys to the Kingdom, Peter’s confession of Christ, Matthew 16:13-20
- The Transfiguration, Luke 9:28-36
- Jesus sends out seventy or seventy two disciples, Luke 10:1-24
- Light, Jesus is the Light of the world, John 8:12
- Jesus heals a man born blind, John 9:1-41
- Jesus looks out for the lost sheep, John 10:1-21
- Jesus uses Jonah as a sign, Luke 11:29-32
- God is the Light, Luke 11:33-36
- Keys, Luke 11:37-52
- The Parable of the Rich Fool, Luke 12:13-21
- Be ready to serve Jesus day and night, Luke 12:35-40
- The Parable of the Lost Sheep, Luke 15:1-7
- Lazarus raised from the dead, John 11:1-45
- The Plot to Kill Jesus, John 11:45-57
- The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, Matthew 18:21-35
- A Blind Beggar receives his sight, Luke 18:35-43
- Zacchaeus the tax collector, Luke 19:1-10
- Questions 1-14
- Ministry of Jesus Timeline
- Next Module – Easter, Triumphal Entry to Pentecost » »