Luke 24:50-53, Jesus goes back to Heaven. This event is called The Ascension and the day is called Ascension Day.
This happened 40 Days after the resurrection.
Jesus had been keeping on telling His disciples that after He had gone back to Heaven they would be given the power of the Holy Spirit.
If AD32 is used then Ascension Day is Thursday 20th May AD32.
If AD33 is used then Ascension Day was Thursday 14th May AD33. The resurrection day was April 3rd.
Ten days later is Pentecost or the Feast of Shavuot, which was one of the three sets of feasts that God commanded all Jewish men to attend.
The ascension – Jesus is Taken up to Heaven
24:50 Later, he led them out as far as Bethany, lifted up his hands, and blessed them. 51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up to heaven. 52 They worshipped him and returned to Jerusalem filled with great joy. 53 They were continually in the Temple, blessing God.
Also, read: Mark 16:19-20; Acts 1:9-11.
Other modules in this unit:
- Zacchaeus, the tax collector, waited for Jesus up a tree
- Blind Bartimaeus eyes healed, Mark 10:46-52
- Mary – First of two anointings by two different women
- The Triumphal Entry
- Palm tree leaves and cloaks
- Jesus taught in parables – The Lamps of the Ten Bridesmaids
- Jesus predicts His crucifixion
- Jesus anointed at Bethany by an unknown woman
- Sandal, Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet
- Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus
- The upper room discourse, Jesus comforts His Disciples
- Jesus spoke three prayers of intercession: one for Himself; one for his disciples; and one for all believers
- Jesus prays for Himself
- Soldiers came at night to arrest Jesus
- Peter cuts off an ear
- Jesus Arrested
- Jesus was on trial six times
- First trial – Annas the Father-in-law of Caiaphas the High Priest
- 2nd Trial – Jesus arrested and taken to the High Priest Caiaphas
- Friday?: day of Jesus’ death?
- The Cock Crow – Peter Disowned Jesus
- Third Trial of Jesus before The Sanhedrin
- 4th Trial – Jesus before Pontius Pilate for the first time
- 5th Trial, Jesus before Herod Antipas the Governor of Galilee and Perea
- 6th trial – Jesus in front of Pontius Pilate for the second time
- Jesus, the Crucifixion walk
- The Cross or the Crucifixion
- Thick darkness Darkness
- The Roman Centurion
- Jesus is Buried
- Roman Soldiers guard the Tomb
- They made sure by sealing the tomb
- Feast Unleavened Bread
- Jesus stays in the tomb three days and three nights
- Firstfuits or Resurrection Sunday
- The open empty tomb or the Resurrection
- He is not Here, He has risen – The Resurrection
- Jesus Has Risen Indeed – The Resurrection
- Come See Where He Lay
- Peter Looks – He has Risen Indeed
- On the Road to Emmaus
- The end of the first week
- Jesus makes a special appearance for Thomas
- The First Sunday or 7 days after the Firstfuits or Resurrection of Jesus
- Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish
- The end of the second week
- The Second Sunday after Firstfuits or Resurrection Sunday
- The end of the third week
- The Third Sunday after Firstfuits or Resurrection Sunday
- The end of the fourth week
- The Fourth Sunday after Firstfuits or Resurrection Sunday
- The end of the 5th week
- The Fifth Sunday or 35 days after feast of Firstfuits or the resurrection of Jesus
- Ascension Day – Back to Heaven for Jesus
- Jesus was seen by over 500 people
- The end of the 6th week
- The Sixth Sunday or 42 days from Firstfuits or Resurrection Sunday
- The end of the 7th week
- Pentecost Fire
- Questions and Answers 1-14
- Background Information – Easter
- Resources: Easter or Palm Sunday To Pentecost
- Next Module – Acts of the Apostles » »